16 Tips to Find Local Dog Breeders (and how to pick the right one)
- Ask Your Veterinarian.
- Ask Another Dog Owner.
- Contact Local Dog Clubs.
- Visit Local Dog Shows.
- Check Out American Kennel Club.
- Look at Pup Quest Website.
- Search Online for Referrals.
- Keep a List of Questions.
Where can I find puppies for sale?
10 Puppy Finding Services To Find Your Next Best Friend
- PuppyFind.com (International)
- Adopt-a-Pet.com (United States)
- American Kennel Club (AKC) (United States)
- NextDayPets (International)
- Petfinder (United States & Canada)
- eBay Classifieds – Dogs & Puppies (United States)
- ASPCA (United States)
- RescueMe.Org (International)
How can you tell if a breeder is a puppy mill?
Here are some red flags that indicate a puppy mill in action:
- The seller has many different types of purebred dogs, or “designer” hybrid breeds.
- Puppies are being sold at less than six weeks old.
- The seller/breeder is located “in another state” and will ship a puppy without an in-person meeting first.
How do you know if a dog breeder is legit?
Is the breeder you’re buying from legit? Make sure you know. You have decided on your perfect breed and now you’re in search of your perfect dog. You check the AKC or CKC and get a list of approved breeders, search out their websites and, they look legitimate.
How do I get a puppy for free?
There is no such thing as a “free” puppy. All puppies need to be wormed and received vaccinations. Puppies that are around 3 to 4 months old need to be spayed or neutered. Unless you have a low-cost clinic available, the closest you can get to a “free” puppy is one from your local animal shelter.
Where can I get a puppy for cheap?
Petfinder. Petfinder.com is another good option to find cheap puppies for sale near you. It is an easy way to get in touch with numerous dog breed rescues and humane societies outside of your city, too. Most of the dogs available through Petfinder do have adoption fees, similar to those from a no-kill shelter.