How do you tell if a pet store is a puppy mill?
11 Signs a Puppy Is From a Puppy Mill
- Poor Housing Conditions. Puppies ideally should be whelped and raised in a home environment.
- Puppy Parents Are Unavailable. Source.
- Multiple Litters.
- Designer Breeds.
- Lack of Medical Care.
- Behavioral Problems.
- “Dirty” Puppies.
- Paperwork Not Required.
Are all pet store puppies from puppy mills?
Most pet store puppies come from puppy mills.
Most pet store puppies are sourced from commercial dog breeding operations (aka puppy mills), where making a profit takes precedence over how the animals are treated. Mother dogs are bred constantly, without any rest or screening for diseases.
Is PetSmart a puppy mill?
If your local pet store sells puppies, they are probably from puppy mills. Petco, Pets Plus Natural and PetSmart already offer dogs and cats from shelters for adoption in their stores. Go online to Petco.com or Petsmart.com and find a store near you or search for adoptable pets in your area through Petfinder.
How can I avoid buying from a puppy mill?
Here are some tips to avoid adopting from a puppy mill:
- Avoid pet stores, newspaper ads, and great deals online! Many puppy mills supply local pet stores with false information.
- Visit the breeder and ask questions! Ask to see the entire facility where the dogs are bred and kept.
- Adopt from a shelter or rescue instead!