What questions should you ask a dog breeder?
Here is a list of questions to consider asking the breeder:
- Are the puppies’ parents “certified”?
- What are the sizes of the puppy’s parents?
- Ask to meet the dogs parents.
- How have they socialized the pups?
- What vaccines has the puppy had?
- Have the puppies been dewormed?
- Have any of the puppies in the litter been sick?
How do I make sure a dog breeder is legit?
You can also find out if a breeder is in good standing with the AKC by contacting AKC Customer Service at 919-233-9767 or [email protected] Don’t rely on the phone. Go in person. The best way to get to know a breeder is to meet in person, which might be at their kennel or in their home.
What should be included in a puppy pack?
What Should Be In a Puppy Pack? (Paperwork, Toys, etc.)
- Contract of Sale for the Puppy.
- Pedigree Certificate.
- Dog’s Registration Certificate.
- Identification of Your Dog.
- Health Screenings & DNA tests.
- Vet Visits & Medical Activities.
- A Personal Letter With Your Best Wishes.
What should I look for when buying a dog from a breeder?
The Bottom Line—Buying from a Breeder Checklist
Never buy and ship online or meet somewhere the puppy doesn’t live. Visit the breeder on-site to see the conditions in which the puppy is living and meet the parents. Visit multiple times to learn the puppy’s personality and see if it’s a match for your needs.